Gain an introduction to the language this week and begin to explore this wonderful culture. Learn about the sounds that form the backbone of the language and also practical skills, becoming familiar with greetings, asking questions, and what to say when checking into your hotel. Perfect for those wishing to visit Madagascar. You will also touch on the cultural aspects that will help tie together and form the foundation for everything you will learn.
This week you will begin to look at ordering food, giving your opinion, bargaining and also exploring the important role that proverbs play in Malagasy culture. From a language perspective you will learn about connecting sentences, present tenses and verbs. You will also learn about the traditions that help keep the Malagasy culture alive. You will take a look at traditional Malagasy recipes and learn the best places to eat in Madagascar!
- Week 2 objectives
- Numbers 1-30
- Cultural Aspects 1 – Introduction to Malagasy Food
- Numbers 31-50 and Key Number Phrases
- Cultural Aspects 2 – How to Eat a Chicken
- Cultural Aspects – A la Malagasy
- Ordering Food and Bargaining
- Present Tense
- Giving an Opinion
- Cultural Aspects 4 – Where to Eat in Madagascar?
- Basic Connectives
- Singular and Plural Nouns
In Week 3 you will begin to learn about clothes. You will achieve this by learning how to describe items of clothing, learning related proverbs, and also practicing how to ask for directions to go shopping. You will also learn some key time phrases and negation. From the cultural perspective, you will learn about the lamba, a traditional Malagasy outfit. You will take a journey through some of the key sights in Madagascar and learn songs related to Malagasy culture.
- Week 3 objectives
- Cultural Aspects 1
- Cultural Aspects 2 – Bargaining Tips
- Asking Directions
- Cultural Aspects 3
- Cultural Aspects 4 – Malagasy Hair Culture
- Key Phrases 2 and Time Phrases
- Numbers Continued
- Cultural Aspects 5 – Proverbs and Idioms about Clothes
- Cultural Aspects 6 – Ambohimanga (The blue hill)
Week Four introduces some very important and common verbs in Malagasy. Continuing on from this you will learn about possessives and basic adjectives. You will also learn about the importance of family, proverbs about family life and learning about marriage costumes and weddings. This week also features telling the time and learning the days of the week. Finally, you will learn the importance of your first haircut and will read your first full story in Malagasy!
- Week 4 objectives
- Common Verbs 2
- Possession And This/That
- Cultural Aspects 1 – Idioms And Proverbs About Parents
- Basic Adjectives
- Cultural Aspects 2 – Ala-volonjaza
- Days of The week and Telling Time
- Making Plans
- Cultural Aspects 3 – Malagasy weddings/marriage
- Cultural Aspects 4 – Concept of time
- Cultural Aspects 5 – The Malagasy/Merina Prenuptial Agreement
- Thank you and goodbye